Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Introductions

I've written software since my preteen years but I'm new to game development. I started working on an RPG in AS3 (Flash) as my first real game project but I've divert to other things along the way. Tutorials exist all over the Internet in different programming languages, styles, etc., and they're written for all skill levels. This is my set of tutorials and code snips.

I've settled on HaXe as my go-to language because it's free, open-source, and easily available on all major platforms. It also compiles easily for a number of popular platforms (iOS, Android, BlackBerry, Windows, Mac, Linux, et al) using a huge number of IDEs, my preference being FlashDevelop. This is a place to keep a small piece of my sanity and a record of concepts I'm working through in HaXe.

I don't pretend to know everything, nor do I pretend I'm the best at those things I discuss (or even good!). I work with logic more than code so my style will be different than yours. I am not a professional blogger, I work full-time and write games in my spare time. I do things half asleep because I have a wife and kids so I make mistakes too!

I'm not the best graphic artist or musician so I rely heavily on those things provided by OpenGameArt.org. They provide free, open-source, and nicely licensed content that's easy to use. I'm also friends with several of their members so you'll see their names here.

For those who need a bullet style list to understand what technologies I'm using:

  • FlashDevelop
  • HaXe
  • HaXeFlixel
  • Coffee!

Let the game development blog begin!

No comments:

Post a Comment